Gateway Arch National Park Celebrates National Park Week, April 20-28
ST. LOUIS—The National Park Service invites the public to celebrate America’s treasures during National Park Week, April 20-28, 2019. At Gateway Arch National Park, visitors are encouraged to take a Tram Ride to the Top of the Arch, watch the award-winning documentary Monument to the Dream in the monument’s Tucker Theater, visit the Old Courthouse and explore the newly renovated Gateway Arch park grounds.
Gateway Arch National Park also hosts these events during National Park Week:
FEE-FREE DAY: Saturday, April 20
Each year, the National Park Service offers fee-free days in which the NPS entrance fee is waived. At Gateway Arch National Park, the $3 entrance fee is included in each adult Tram Ride to the Top ticket and adult Documentary Movie ticket. On the fee-free days, that $3 is waived. Future 2019 fee-free days are August 25 (NPS birthday), September 28 (National Public Lands Day) and November 11 (Veterans Day).
JUNIOR RANGER DAY: Saturday, April 20; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Kids ages 5-15 learn how to protect and preserve our national parks for future generations during Junior Ranger Day. Special Junior Ranger Day events include:
- All day: Kids can earn a special Gateway Arch National Park Junior Ranger lapel pin by completing a special Junior Ranger Day activity booklet. Please visit the information desk inside the new Gateway Arch entrance to pick up the booklet. (Note: Kids can complete a Junior Ranger booklet at any time to earn a Gateway Arch National Park Junior Ranger badge.)
- All day: Kids can make their own Junior Ranger button and take a selfie as a Junior Ranger at the park’s selfie station, located on the mezzanine of the Gateway Arch Visitor Center.
- 10 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.: Kids can take part in the “Create Your Own National Park Activity” ranger program on the mezzanine of the Gateway Arch Visitor Center.
EARTH DAY: Monday, April 22; 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Help keep Gateway Arch National Park beautiful this Earth Day! Lend a hand, and help park rangers and the Gateway Arch Park Foundation tidy up the Arch grounds with a park clean-up and gardening event. Gardening tools as well as refreshments will be provided. Please bring your own gloves and hand trowels. Volunteers should meet at the Arch’s new west entrance. Please register at archpark.org/volunteer to participate.
B.A.R.K. RANGER DAY: Saturday, April 27; 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
National parks are exciting places for pets, too! Your pet can become a B.A.R.K. Ranger and serve as an ambassador for responsible and safe pet handling at Gateway Arch National Park. B.A.R.K. stands for: bag your pet’s waste, always wear a leash, respect wildlife and know where you can go.
From 9 a.m. to noon, meet the park ranger outside the new west entrance of Gateway Arch National Park to participate in the “Take Your Human for a Walk” program, where pets can also become a B.A.R.K. Ranger and earn a special bandana.
PARK RX DAY: Sunday, April 28; 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Visitors of all ages are invited to Luther Ely Smith Square at Gateway Arch National Park for Park Rx (prescriptions) Day, a nationwide initiative that encourages everyone to start seeing visits to parks and public lands as very important to human health. Special Park Rx Day events include:
- 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Stop by the Park Rx table, located near the new west entrance to the Gateway Arch, to get your prescription to spend more time in your local, state and national parks!
- 9 to 10 a.m.: Yoga session for all ages under the Arch, presented by Yoga Buzz.
- 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Do you have questions about your health and nutrition? Ask Dr. Theresa DeLorenzo, Doctor of Clinical Nutrition, Registered Dietician and Program Director of Nutrition and Human Performance at Logan University. Dr. DeLorenzo will be stationed at the Park Rx table.
- 10 to 10:30 a.m.: Ranger-led walking tour of the Gateway Arch park grounds, highlighting the recent CityArchRiver project renovations, including the renovated Luther Ely Smith Square, the new entrance to the Museum at the Gateway Arch and the North Gateway area of the park grounds. Please meet at the Park Rx Day activity table near the new west entrance to the Gateway Arch for the tour.
Calendar of National Park Week Daily Designations
- April 20: National Junior Ranger Day and Fee-Free Day
- April 21: Military & Veterans Recognition Day
- April 22: Earth Day
- April 23: Transportation Tuesday
- April 24: Wild Wednesday
- April 25: Throwback Thursday
- April 26: Friendship Friday
- April 27:A.R.K. Ranger Day
- April 28: Park Rx Day
*Please refer to Gateway Arch National Park’s social media accounts for more activities on these days.
Gateway Arch Visitor Reminders
Visitors to the Arch must enter the monument at the new glass west entrance, which faces the Old Courthouse. The Arch legs are exits only. Entrance to the Arch Visitor Center and the Museum at the Gateway Arch is free.
Gateway Arch National Park does not have designated on-site visitor parking. A list of preferred parking locations near the park can be found at http://getaroundstl.com. Metered street parking is also available around the park.
The Tram Ride to the Top of the Arch sells out early and often. It is strongly encouraged to purchase your tram ride tickets in advance at gatewayarch.com/buytickets. Please plan to arrive at least 30 minutes ahead of your scheduled tram time. For more information, visit nps.gov/jeff or gatewayarch.com, or call 877-982-1410.
ABOUT: The Gateway Arch and the Old Courthouse are part of Gateway Arch National Park, located on the riverfront in downtown St. Louis. The Gateway Arch, which features the Tram Ride to the Top, the Museum at the Gateway Arch, the documentary film Monument to the Dream, The Arch Store and The Arch Café, is open daily during the winter from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., and from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day. The Old Courthouse is open from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. The park is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. The Old Courthouse is located at 11 North Fourth Street, St. Louis, MO 63102. Most programs are FREE of charge and open to the public. Programs and events at the park are made possible by the generous support from our cooperating association, Jefferson National Parks Association, and Bi-State Development. To purchase Arch tickets, go online to gatewayarch.com, call 877-982-1410 or visit the ticket counter in the Arch Visitor Center.